QuickBooks, developed by Intuit, has been the leading accounting software since its launch in 2000. Since its stable release, it has been available in two accessible versions. One of them is cloud-based and the other, the online version (QBO). People have often confused the online and cloud-based versions to be the same, but the difference is stark. Yes, both versions need Internet access to take advantage of the full functionality of the software, however, the provision of functions of the two makes them polar opposites.
QuickBooks Online is created and channeled through Intuit, which runs within the web browser. Comparatively, QuickBooks software is hosted in the cloud through third-party cloud hosting companies, which can be accessed through an application-based platform.
So here the question arises: which of them should be preferred? Well, there are many drawbacks to QuickBooks Online, which is a poor competitor to QuickBooks Hosting. As proof of this claim, let’s look at some of the drawbacks of QuickBooks Online.
Drawbacks of QuickBooks Online
While the desktop version of QuickBooks has all the functionality of the software, QuickBooks Online is left behind with myriad limitations. The main reason lies in the built that works on different databases.
1. It lacks complete accuracy and problems arise when importing and exporting data from the desktop version of the software.
2. Without the Internet, there is no way to access the program, as it is completely web-based. So no internet means workflow pause.
3. A significant amount of manual input is required when you have to make changes from the desktop version to the online version and vice versa.
4. The maximum number of users allowed at one time is 5.
5. Limited technical support is available.
When you look at these drawbacks and compare the online version with the hosting platform, you can see the drawbacks in a bright light. But, there are no such limitations or problems in the cloud-based version of QuickBooks. Now let’s take another look at the benefits of QB hosting.
Advantages of QuickBooks hosting
Cloud-based QuickBooks is the desktop version of the software. It is mainly hosted in the cloud so that users can access and use its functions. While you can take advantage of all the elements with cloud hosting, here is a list of professionals to give you a clear idea.
1. The desktop version of QuickBooks can be accessed online through an application. Hence, there are no worrying factors to be found when switching between desktop and cloud version.
2. Instead of only 5 users using the installation at a time, the cloud version offers 30 users while working benefits.
3. Attributes such as inventory tracking, purchase order creation, multiple item pricing, and online bill pay are available with QuickBooks in the cloud. This availability is absent for QuickBooks Online.
4. The supported versions are QuickBooks Pro, Premier, and Enterprise.
5.24×7 technical support is available.
There is no direct competition between the two, as the cloud-based version has everything a business needs. QuickBooks Online labels on most of the important features that are available on QuickBooks Hosting.
With the cloud platform, everything remains similar to the desktop version. It also offers the ability to be accessible, bypassing geographic and time limits, along with the power of data security and scalability. There are not many leading, reputable companies spread across the Internet that host QuickBooks software in the cloud. Therefore, it is advisable to go for the best cloud service provider to get the best results.