While I’ve probably heard over 10 lame excuses from home builders, while working as a subcontractor. Here’s the top 10 list and I hope you have fun reading it, because I had so much fun writing it.
1. I’ll pay you tomorrow, you can count on it. As a contractor who has worked for many general contractors, you can almost count on never getting paid on time.
2. I never signed that change order. This one isn’t much fun, especially if it’s a big change order.
3. I don’t have enough money in my bank account to pay you. This is often followed by more excuses like, I’m waiting for the landlord to pay me or for his partner to spend his money.
4. Let’s talk about this tomorrow, when I’m feeling better. Usually this means they need more time to think, try to get them to talk about it today.
5. That is too much money, you will have to lower the price of your offer, if you want the job. This is pretty standard conversation for most general contractors, no matter how much you charge them, they will always try to get you to lower their prices.
6. I thought you were going to tidy up the windows. If you are installing the windows, make sure you know who is requesting them. This could also create other problems with concrete, wood, and roofing materials.
7. I don’t have enough money to pay for lunch. Don’t get caught up in this scam. If the general contractor invites you to lunch, leave your wallet in your truck. You might end up doing some dishes, but you will teach the contractor a valuable lesson.
8. I never said that, right? This is the best excuse for general contractors and if it is used more than once, you might consider purchasing a digital recording device.
9. I won’t be able to be here tomorrow. This will generally be used around payday. If you’re supposed to get paid and your contractor uses this excuse, tell them that you won’t be there tomorrow either. This generally gets your creative juices flowing.
10. Last but not least, I am not responsible for that, you are. This is why we have contracts and you better read your contract, because a smart general contractor, who is not interested in using new again, could make your life miserable.
A little humor and a little pain, this is how I feel about the construction business most of the time.